Banana Bread Protein Breakfast Pudding
I know, I know, another breakfast recipe.
Don’t blame me! I’m just gettin’ all kinds of breakfast inspiration right now!
My first idea was to make a baked banana bread protein oatmeal, like the baked apple pie oatmeal I posted last week.
Then I thought – I really want this to be more than just ‘banana oatmeal’. I want it to be ‘banana bread oatmeal’.
So I figured…which might sound totally crazy…that I should put some bread in this!
Still with me?
I promise you’ll enjoy this if you just believe in it ;).
The bread gives a chewier texture to oatmeal, and soaks up the milk so softens slightly. I love it. But you can always omit the bread if you’re just not sure.
Give it a go!
Banana Bread Protein Breakfast Pudding (inspired by Lauren’s Banana Bread Oatmeal, here)
INGREDIENTS (serves 1):
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1-2 T egg whites (or 1 egg white)
1/3 cup oats
1/3 scoop protein powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp molasses
1 slice bread
1 tsp chocolate chips, 1 T walnuts etc for topping (optional)
1. Blend your banana, milk and egg whites together in a Magic Bullet or blender till banana is smooth.
2. Pour banana mixture over oats in a small saucepan and heat gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and cooked.
3. Take off the heat and stir in the protein powder (especially important to do this after removing from heat if you are using whey protein powder, which tends to separate when heated).
4. Add vanilla and spices, and molasses and stir well. Transfer about 1/3 of the oatmeal mixture back to your Magic Bullet or blender and process till smooth.
5. Meanwhile, break up the slice of bread, fold into the remaining oatmeal and let sit.
6. When blended oats are smooth, add them back to the bowl, incorporate well and add your toppings. Enjoy!
Nutritional information per pudding if serves 1:
I’ve linked this post up at Katie’s Marvelous in my Monday link party!
- How was your weekend? Did you do anything fun? Here it was all about enjoying the sunshine with berry picking with friends and shopping downtown – I got some goodies from Lululemon and Zara! And my girlfriends and I took advantage of the VIP section at the local cinema and went to see Magic Mike. Fun times!