Spiced Lentil Patties – GF
These lentil patties have so much flavour and are a great baked, protein-packed healthy alternative to falafels. I love them served with a light Greek yogurt sauce or simply atop a full salad – warm or cold.
Make ahead and freeze or these keep in the fridge for up to one week. Gluten-free and high in protein, these patties are just 100 calories each and boast 6g of protein! I love them on salad or just as a snack – they are super filling.
INGREDIENTS (makes 8 patties):
1 1/4 cups of cooked or steamed lentils
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (make your own from gluten-free bread or Glutino’s brand is great)
1 bunch green onions, sliced finely
1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 large eggs (note: for vegan alternative, you could try replacing the eggs with 2 tbsp ground flax seed left to sit in 6 tbsp water for 10 minutes until thick and gelatinous. However, I have not tried this recipe with flax eggs, so please be aware of this before proceeding!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then, add eggs and bind all ingredients together.
3. Transfer about half of the mixture to a food processor and process until mashed together.
4. Transfer food processor mix back into the bowl and combine.
5. Take a 1/3 cup measure or a medium cookie cutter and shape patties onto a sheet of greased parchment paper. It should make 8 patties but you can make them thinner and make more or larger and make 4 large burgers.
6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes; flip patties and bake another 10 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!